Answering a Reader Question #61




Anonymous Wrote:

I know this is an older post but i have a question- i am half black and half white and i know jet magazine is an african american magazine. i would be interested in submitting a photo but i am fair skinned to the point where my skin is the color of a caucasian person, my eyes are blue, and by looking at me most might not be able to tell i am even mixed with black. I was wondering in YOUR honest opinion if you think i would have a chance. I know that african-american womens' view of mixed women is not always a positive one and i have had to deal with a lot of struggles because of that. have you ever seen a white looking mixed girl with blue eyes in any of their issues or could you find out? thank you so much and i hope i have some kind of chance. if not i know they are missing out not me, but i would appreciate the help. thank! 


Hi, Anonymous, this is an interesting question--thank you for asking it! Based on your situation and physical description I think you would have a difficult time becoming a Beauty of the Week, simply because the editors may be worried that readers will not understand (or believe) that you are mixed and could cause a big stink. However, I will say that I have seen fair-skinned women as Beauty of the Week before, although not with blue eyes (green eyes I have seen, though). I think that if you have darker hair then you may be able to swing it.

I completely know what you are talking about when it comes to certain people's view of mixed women appearing in publications that are targeted towards a specific demographic: they are either all for it or they believe that they are stealing the limelight. However, the only way you'll know is if you try. There is no harm at all in sending your photos to them. Simply explain that you are of mixed race. The worst they can do is not choose you--nothing lost, nothing gained so I say go for it anyway.

***I cannot speak for anyone but myself on this topic so please do not send me comments or emails trying to discuss the ethics of my statements in regards to race...that is not the point of this post.***
newer post older post